Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Computers, teaching and learning...

Before I get started on this entry, I have to say that the quote from Will Richardson yesterday may become my ultimate teaching quote! I have been thinking about it all day and I have decided that I love it!

Back to the topic at hand... computers, teaching and learning. I've been thinking about this question since Sunday, when the content was posted. I am to think about how "schools could implement computer-supported learning in ways that authentically transform teaching and learning." That is the $64, 000 question about teaching and technology today! How can we begin to use technology/computers as learning tools and not just tools?

In my limited experience, I have found that there is great diversity in computer skills between students. I teach at a high school that offers Information Processing, Computer Technology & Production and Computer Science. Students that are enrolled in those courses seem to have much better skills at using technology and it is very noticeable-naturally. My belief is that students should have computer classes (of some kind, I'll let the curriculum developers handle the content) that are mandatory. Before we can begin to use technology to transform teaching and learning, we must be sure that all students (and teachers for that matter) are on the same level playing field. How many times have teachers tried to incorporate technology into your teaching only to find that a third of your students, don't know how to use the technology correctly? So much time could be saved- computer skills should be cross-curricular.

I'm not sure if I've answered the question or just rambled on. I don't have the answers and furthermore I don't believe that I have the power to change anything in terms of technology at my school, because it is so regimented and we don't always get much say from the powers that be in the IS department. Sorry to any techies reading this, but that is how it appears from "the Front Lines" of teaching. Lot's of red tape and hand slapping.

Katie

No comments: