Monday, February 8, 2010

Weblogg-Ed- Brilliant!

On my blog, I follow a number of "cool" educational blogs. I have to admit that I don't always have time to read everyone of them, but I do try. Today I was reading Weblogg-ed by Will Richardson and I was struck by his reflections of the Educon and the actual website itself- not a conference, but a conversation. Isn't that interesting?

Quite often when I attend or I speak to a colleague that has just attended an educational conference, they (and I) are underwhelmed. This is not a shot at the organizers or presenters, but it is a common thread. I always find that the most meaningful experience that I have at conferences is the interaction between my fellow teachers and librarians. The conversation that we have and the experiences that we share seem invaluable to me. I'm either inspired or I feel my confidence rise because I know that I'm not the only one who does this or I am doing something right or I just helped someone else!

Maybe we need to have more conversations and less conferences!?

I also really liked Richardson's quote that he created from his reflections:

Stop complaining. Be the change. Love your students and do well by them. If that includes technology, so be it.

Wow! That may be my new motto in the school- that just sums up what I think about technology in teaching. Teaching is not a linear profession; it is circular, web-like and full of change. We are supposed to be leaders for students and our actions and responses are being watched and absorbed. We expect our students to roll with changes and accept the new ideas and tools that we present to them, but so often we ourselves are not willing to be so accepting. So do as Richardson says and if it will help your students, be like Nike and "Just Do It!".

No comments: