Sunday, March 28, 2010

Final Reflection

This is my last blog post for ECI 832 and I have to admit that it is bitter sweet for me. I have really enjoyed the opportunity and freedom to explore and play in the sandbox with everyone in my class. I am genuinely going to miss posting my thoughts and reading others' ideas and experiences. As with my last class to use this blog, I will try and keep my blogging up as I go through and experience more in my teaching career. I still have to write a paper and post to the forum in my other class, but after April 15th, I will have completed my Masters in C&I and will not have to take classes. I have stated before that the best part of all of my classes, be it online or on campus, is the interaction with my fellow educators and the learning that I get from them- from you.

I'm going to answer each of Marnie's questions and then post some final thoughts after. I don't want to get too far off track! J


 

Question #1-

  • What new understandings of the role of educational technology to support learning have you gained, acted on or perhaps strengthened?

I think that I have always had an interest in technology, but I always thought of it as a gimmick and not as a way to enhance student learning. I thought that it was something flashy that I could use to impress the students and my fellow teachers. Through this class and by taking a step back to evaluate and critique various technologies, I have been able to look at them as a way to deliver content and to reach students. I've never had much luck collaborating with my fellow teachers and through my final project, I am now working with two ELA teachers on their particular topics. I have had the chance to follow some other educators through their blogs and read about their ideas and questions about technology and gather information to form my own opinions. I also got the chance to explore programs that I never thought I would ever use (such as Second Life and Twitter) and have found them to be extremely interesting (going to the Globe Theatre in 17th century England was a highlight) and such an interesting way to reach learners. Above all, I have found that through this course I have had the opportunity to objectively look at my own teaching in general and my own views and beliefs about technology. It has opened my eyes to a new way of reflecting and growing from my experiences and to be ok with making mistakes and to embrace them as learning experiences. I think that the blog has been a safe way to express myself and this is another reason that I will try and continue using it as an electronic journal.


 

Question #2-

  • What has had the most influence on your horizon of understanding?

I would have to say that it was a combination of my edu-tech blog (Will Richardson) and my classmates' blogs. I really enjoyed reading about the experiences of everyone in the class and even though I didn't always have time to leave a comment, I read a lot of your information and I found myself nodding my head with you or having "a ha" moments at my computer desk. I also have to say that the sandbox exploration also had an influence- I was asked to play and to explore new ideas and that was a lot of fun.


 

Question #3-

  • What new questions have emerged for you?

I have a few of questions swirling around in my head:

  1. How can I get the teachers at my school to be more enthusiastic about technology? How can I get them to try a few of the things that I have tried and get them to use it in their teaching?
  2. How will I keep up with all of the technology?
  3. Will I still be as pumped up about all of this in two months? Two years?
  4. How can I get the division on my side and work with us to start heading in the same direction? Is it possible?
  5. What is the new stuff coming down the line? Are there trends that I should be looking out for?


 

Some last thoughts

I want to thank everyone for their time and comments- I really had fun.

I am applying to go to the eLearning conference in Edmonton this year. I saw an email about it and I am very interested in what I could learn there and it is primarily due to this course and that is exciting for me.

I am going to pledge to try and keep up my blogging and to try and keep a critical and open mind about technology in the future.

Cheers!

Katie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie, great question - how do we get other teachers to become enthusiastic? Is it finding the right tools? Finding enough time? Finding ways to get some teachers over their fear of technology? Throwing out all the redbooks? Tough question, but it seems to me that we have to acknowledge both the limits and potentials of new media and web 2.0 tools in order to make the best use of them (and help others do the same).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I enjoyed your blog!