Monday, March 22, 2010

Online PD

This week's topic was very interesting for me because of my seminar that I am leading this week in 830- my topic is Technology and Professional Development, so this is a very timely topic.

As I was doing research on professional development and technology, I came across a couple of articles that suggested online PLCs and social networking sites and I was very interested. So, for this week's exploration, I chose to join the Classroom 2.0 site. I was very glad that I did because it is a really neat way to do PD!

I joined the Beginners site to start with and found lots of really useful information. One of the discussion topics was called Twitter for Beginners. I recently joined Twitter and I found that the suggestions and information in that discussion thread was really useful for me. I also found the wiki section really useful, even though I have used wikis in the past, there was information in the discussion that I wasn't aware of and suggestions on usage that I had not thought of previously.

I also like the idea of an individualized PD opportunity and also an ongoing one. It is nice to be able to ask questions and get feedback. It is not a presentation on something that I have no interest in (like some PD that we get), but it is an online community that is accessible 24/7.

No comments: