Saturday, January 30, 2010

Second Life and Second Chance





Top to Bottom: Me in Macedonia, on the top of the Eiffel Tower and in the Globe Theatre!!

When I first signed up for Second Life and logged onto the program, I didn't know what to expect. I found the process of getting started quite easy and I adapted to the controls pretty quickly. I found that they were a lot like the controls of first player video games that I have played on my PC in the past. I actually remember thinking that SL was quite a lot like one of the games I have been playing. I did have trouble with customizing my avatar and am still working on that process.

I met with my group and had to type my chat because I forgot my head set at school. I didn't find that there was any problem with this and I was able to follow the group and what was going on. I did find it very useful to have our leader on audio, so that I could listen to her instructions and follow along. Some of the videos worked, others didn't and the ones that did, I didn't find all that useful for me.

I didn't really have any feelings about SL until I went back a couple of times on my own- I went to Dublin (one of them) and thought things were really cool at first and was quite excited. I then went into a pub and completely got the heebie jeebies! I felt as though I was walking into an actual pub on my own and I didn't know anyone- except this was worse, because not only did I not know anyone, I also didn't know what they actually looked like. I felt very uncomfortable and I didn't end up staying long.

After this experience, I was very unsure of exactly how this program could be used in an educational setting. I'll be very honest and say that I thought that I would play along for the class and read the readings for how to use SL in schools, but I would never, ever use it personally or professionally. I had written this technology off- so to speak.

I never went on SL again until my scheduled group meeting with my instructors. I was not looking forward to it, but I was blown away! This time when we met up we actually got to teleport to different places- Paris, Macedonia and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre!! I had so much fun that night, that I have been back on exploring other places. My attitude did a complete 180- I was a bit awed by that session and now my teacher-mind is starting to whirl. I can absolutely see how I could use this in my teaching!!

I have been telling other teachers about SL and my experiences and they seem quite keen on seeing it for themselves. SL is blocked by our school, but I have got a couple of them telling me that they are going to go home and sign up and try it out. I am hoping that my enthusiasm for this program will continue to grow with this course and beyond!
That's what I think about Second Life... Katie












1 comment:

Unknown said...

I understand your experience as I too had the same attitude at first. I am still not sure how or when I will incorporate SL into my Chemistry class but as a teacher librarian I can see you having a lot of fun with it. Good luck with your adventures, I hope you find what are you looking for.